Business and Commerce English Assessment
iTEP Business is the most efficient, secure, accurate, and affordable way for businesses and organizations to measure the English level of their employees and applicants. It is specially designed to test the language skills needed to succeed in a work environment and to help employees make smart business decisions.
Business Test Variants
iTEP Business is available in its Core and Plus forms which differ in the number of sections required and the delivery format. White-label (Plus or Core) and paper form (Core) tests may also be requested.
iTEP Business-Plus Assesses all three Core skills plus writing and speaking, and is 80 minutes in length, with an additional 10 minutes for pre-test preparation.
iTEP Business‑Core Assesses grammar, listening, and reading, and is 50 minutes in length, with an additional 10 minutes for pre-test preparation.
iTEP Business Overview
The primary function of iTEP Business is to assess the English language proficiency of employees and candidates for whom English is a second language. Businesses and government agencies commonly use iTEP Business for:
- Screening new hires for English language ability
- Qualifying employees for assignments requiring English proficiency
- Guidance regarding job promotions
- Evaluating ROI (return on investment) of English teaching and training programs
- Progress and promotion decisions via tracking employees’ strengths and weaknesses
- Benchmark candidates for English assignment eligibility
- Pre- and Post-program assessment on site and on demand
TEST FORMAT AND DELIVERY
iTEP exams are delivered via the internet and must be administered at a secure location or a certified iTEP test center. The examinee completes the test in the following manner:
- During the grammar, listening, and reading sections, the examinee clicks on one of four answer choices for each question
- Writing samples are typed directly into a text-entry field
- Speaking samples are recorded with a headset and microphone at the examinee’s computer
iTEP Business is available in its Core and Plus forms which differ in the number of sections
required and the delivery format. White-label (Plus or Core) and paper form (Core) tests may also be requested.
iTEP Business Structure
In each section, examinees will encounter content and questions targeted to varying levels of proficiency.
A Grammar (Structure) — 10 minutes/ one part
- This section is comprised of twenty-five multiple-choice questions, each of which tests the examinee’s familiarity with key features of English structure. This section includes a range of content from simple to complex, as well as both beginning and advanced vocabulary. Each type of question is preceded by an on-screen example.
B Listening — 20 minutes/ three parts
- Four high-beginning to low-intermediate level short conversations of two to three sentences, each followed by one multiple-choice question
- One two- to three-minute intermediate-level conversation, followed by four multiple-choice questions.
- One four-minute upper level-lecture, followed by six multiple-choice questions.
C Reading — 20 minutes/ two parts
- One intermediate-level passage of about 250 words in length, followed by four multiple-choice questions.
- One upper-level paragraph of about 450 words in length, followed by six multiple-choice questions.
D Writing — 25 minutes/ two parts
- The examinee is given five minutes to write a 50-75 word note on a supplied topic, geared to the low- intermediate level.
- The examinee is given 20 minutes to write a 175-225 word piece expressing and supporting his or her opinion on an upper-level written topic.
E Speaking — 5 minutes/ two parts (plus one minute warm-up section)
- The examinee hears and reads a short question geared to low-intermediate level, then has 30 seconds to prepare a spoken response and 45 seconds to speak.
- The examinee hears a brief upper-level statement presenting two sides of an issue, then is asked to express his or her thoughts on the topic, with 45 seconds to prepare and 60 seconds to speak.
Please complete the booking schedule form below and indicate your preferred testing date and time. We will reply to you to confirm your test date.*
*Note. This is a preliminary booking, please wait for an email confirmation before proceeding to the test center.